Lab Geekery

I have briefly mentioned my lab geekery on this blog, but have not gone into much detail.  So I must confess that I am a full-blown nutrition nerd.  Not the kind of nutrition nerd that frets over eating enough carrots and such {obvi}, but the kind of nutrition nerd that studies compounds in food and how they impact us on the cellular level.  And I love it...

I have spent the past several months familiarizing myself with basic lab techniques, and have become pretty darn good at cell culture.  Extracting clean RNA for PCR is still a struggle, but I am working on it.  I have discovered a new obsession in the labThe GloMax...

First of all it measures luminescence (mitochondrial mass in my experiment), which is just plain fun.  But even better than that, is that you can crank out results in a few minutes!  If only measuring fatty acid oxidation was as quick and easy as my beloved glomax. 




Note to self: less PCR, and more glomax...