I look forward to Saturday mornings, and I have since I was a child. Back then I looked forward to waking up early and watching cartoons, but now I look forward to breakfast on Saturday mornings. Don't get me wrong I love my Kashi Go Lean Crunch during the week, but my Saturday breakfasts are always more of a treat. When finances allow I love going out to breakfast and one of my favorite places is Mimi's Cafe. I especially love the honey oat bran muffins and fresh orange juice which accompany many of their breakfast items. When dining out at Mimi's wallet and waistline have an inverse relationship, as your wallet gets lighter your waistline gets heavier. A small amount of sleuthing reveals the problem; a simple breakfast of scrambled eggs, fruit, muffin, and juice contains close to 1,000 calories and almost 40 grams of fat!
The solution is simple: make your Saturday morning breakfast at home! You can make a simple and equally delicious meal for a fraction of the cost and half the calories and fat grams, and I will show you step by step.
You will need:
eggs
fresh or canned fruit (whatever you have on hand)
muffin mix (I used Martha White Brand)
skim milk
dill weed
honey (optional)
cheese (optional)
Prepare the muffin mix and preheat the oven as directed.
Add approximately 2T of honey to the muffin mix. Honey adds a touch of swantioxidants.
Add the mix to you muffin tin and place in the center rack of your oven.
While the muffins are baking prepare your eggs. Add 2 eggs and 1T of skim milk per person to a mixing bowl (or in my case a measuring cup) and beat until light and fluffy with a fork.
Mix in as much or as little dill weed as you like.
Check on your muffins, and remove from the oven when they have risen and are golden brown.
Allow the muffins to cool, and guard them from the hands of your ravenous husband.
While the muffins are cooling, heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick spray.
Add the egg mixture to the skillet.
Heat until eggs begin to set then stir them from the bottom of the skillet. Continue heating until the eggs are cooked through.
Serve muffins with eggs and 1/2 C fruit per person. Enjoy with a glass of juice. If you have any leftover muffins put them away immediately before your husband consumes them in one sitting
This meal contains 495 calories and 18 grams of fat. You can lighten up this meal even more by using Egg Beaters or egg whites, omitting the cheese, or choosing coffee or tea instead of juice. This weekend save your wallet and your waistline by staying in and making breakfast at home!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend...