I ♥ Farmers

A few days ago I mentioned that I attended a mini-conference about going green and sustainable living held by my local dietetic association. At the end of the conference there was a panel of farmers discussing the local farmers markets and the benefits of buying local. One of the biggest misconceptions about farmers markets is that you will pay less than what you could expect to pay at the grocery store. Although the prices are not necessarily lower, you can expect to get a higher quality product from your local farmers. With all of the food borne illness in recent years it is refreshing to know where your food is coming from. Additionally, buying locally is an easy way to reduce your carbon footprint, because some of our produce travels more than 2,000 miles before reaching us! Although some of your local farmers might not have the title "USDA Organic," that does not mean they do not practice organic farming. Purchasing the certification can be rather pricey, so the small/medium family farm often opts not to become certified. It might be cheaper to buy your produce from Walmart, but I would rather support a local farmer than a farm in China. Click HERE to find your local farmers markets, and support the family farm!
I am definitely a newbie to the sustainable living movement, but I look forward to learning more and becoming more conscious of the way my actions (and lack thereof) impact our environment!