Twelve Tips for a Perfect Thanksgiving Guest


Photo courtesy of Alicia Mazzara and dcist.com

Since the FD has been doing a great job of posting recipes for Thanksgiving, I thought I would post this great article I found by Suzette Standring on the HuffingtonPost: Twelve Tips for a Perfect Thanksgiving Guest HERE. If you're in a rush and don't have time to read the entire article my favorite tips are:

-If you have a very strict diet of any sort, just go ahead and bring your own food, but enough to share, instead of leaving the entire burden to your host. In my younger, pickier days as a vegetarian, it was not above my Mother and I to grab a box of Easy Mac and a couple extra apples on the way out the door.

-Offer to help with the centerpiece. You can always order the flowers and have them delivered to your host beforehand. Of course check with him/her when doing this.

-Offer to help clear the table and help with dishes, but be considerate if your host/hostess seems hesitant to take you up. This is the time of year when the good china comes out and it may just be that the less helpers in the kitchen the better.

And I'd like to add my own little tip...if traveling with children, or if you know children will be there, grab a few board games. In all honesty, Thanksgiving often lacks excitement for the younger ones, and games like Monopoly or Scrabble kept my sisters and I occupied year after year throughout the somewhat tedious day.

Enjoy!

NAOmni

Postscript: Interested in the photo? Check out deep fried pumpkin pie HERE.