Shining a Spotlight on Samoas


You pull into the grocery store parking lot, and there they are.  Little girls with adorable smiles and sparkling eyes asking you if you would like to purchase cookies.  How can you say no?  Their little faces droop with disappointment (how will they have a troop camping trip this year).  The cookies are delicious, and I am convinced they are laced with something to make them highly addictive...  This was the first weekend that these pig-tailed cookie dealers were not out in full force, and for that I am grateful.  

The Girl Scouts have been selling cookies to fundraise since 1917, and the money earned is used to pay for activities for the girls.  Samoas are hands down my absolute favorite Girl Scout cookie, and if you disagree and think Tagalongs or Thin Mints are better you are delusional!  Samoas account for 19% of the Girl Scouts cookie sales, Thin Mints account for 25% of sales. 

Samoas are coconutty, caramely, and chocolatey all wrapped up into one yummy cookie.  I love Samoas, and they are so difficult to resist.  But at 150 calories for 2 cookies this is not a snack I can afford to indulge in (because you know I cannot stop at 2)! In recent years there have been an influx of Samoa related items including ice cream, cupcakes, and even recipes to make your own.  If you have never had a samoa I suggest you try them before all the cookies are gone, but you will be addicted, and your waistline will pay!

What is your favorite GS cookie and can you resist them?