The 600-Pound(er) Conundrum

Before I climb on my soap box, let me preface my rant post by saying that I absolutely adore my internship prep class. We have a new guest speaker almost every class, and they are usually area RDs who will be our preceptors in the spring.  Today an area RD came to speak to us about nutrition screening and assessment.

This RD was extremely knowledgeable and had years of experience.  While discussing the various equations used to caclulate BMR (basal metabolic rate for non-nutrition folks), she mentioned that she struggled choosing an equation for a 600-pounder.  Not a patient who weighs 600 pounds, or a 600 pound patient, but a 600-pounder...  as though someone that big is a thing and not a patient. 

I do not think this RD meant the comment to be mean, but I began to fume. The morbidly obese seem to be the one group that is perfectly acceptable to berate, belittle, and feel prejudice toward.  And I feel VERY strongly that the medical community needs to show compassion and respect to persons of all sizes.  On the other hand, I am fairly certain nothing was meant by the comment and I know that this can be a hot button issue for me...

So am I being overly sensitive, or was the 600-pounder comment callous???




End rant, hop off soapbox.