Remember this cheese-tastic JLH song???
While I love pop music, regardless of cheese, that is not the purpose of this post... My real question is how do you deal with nutrition misinformation from friends and family?
Being a typical first born people pleaser, I usually shy away from confronting people unless absolutely necessary. However, I am also the type of person who loves to share random tidbits of information. Food and nutrition is tricky, because we all eat hence we are all "experts." This issue often comes up when friends and family read diet/nutrition books, which are often written by individuals with minimal nutrition background (which is another post in and of itself), and they start to tell me what they have learned. Usually I smile and nod, and occasionally offer information about the most current research. Sometimes the misinformation is based on opinion, but is presented as fact. Most recently I had a family member state that the cure to obesity is to eliminate fructose from the diet...
So, no more fruit and we will all look like Gisele Bundchen??? Or did this person mean HFCS, which many of you know how I feel on that issue. Either way, I decided it was best to keep my lips zipped on the issue. My correcting this person would do nothing but make me seem like a know-it-all, and a fat nutrition know-it-all to boot.
In reality I am extremely knowledgeable when it comes to nutrition. In fact, I would venture to say that 99.999999% of people who struggle with their weight know what to do (
So how do you deal with misinformation (nutrition or otherwise)?