I am extremely concerned that you will be considered nutrition "professionals" in a few short years. While each of us will receive an outstanding education in the field of nutrition, I am concerned by the ignorant (and quite frankly prejudiced) views many of you have toward the obese.
One such ignorant comment was that if an obese person appears to be happy, they are "fat and jolly, much like Santa." I don't smile because I am fat and jolly, I smile because I am happy (see picture at left for verification). I have a husband who loves me, amazing family and friends, and I am fortunate enough to study what I love every day.
Furthermore, if an obese person appears sad or stressed there is no need to assume that they are going to "eat their feelings." If I look sad or stressed, perhaps it is because I am trying to balance being a wife, graduate student, and a dietetic intern.
You see my fellow grad students, fat people are just like you. We have good days and bad days, days where we feel like
Your own personal discomfort with the obese does not need to be projected into the way that you treat them. One student has suggested that nutrition professionals ought to approach the obese and let them know that they need to lose weight. Does anyone honestly believe that this is an effective strategy to facilitate behavioral change? The only purpose this action would serve, would be to shame that person.
In case anybody needed reminding, the overweight and obese will comprise a large segment of our patients and clients. Your attitude and treatment of these people can shape their perception of the entire medical field. It has been suggested that the obese do not receive adequate health care due to medical professionals own biases toward the obese, and the obese individual's own reluctance to visit a practitioner. People should never feel shamed or judged when seeking to improve their health status, regardless of their size. As nutrition experts we are armed with the information to empower people of all shapes and sizes to make healthy choices.
Prejudice of the obese is widely accepted in our society, but that does not make it right. Next time you find yourself making a sweeping judgment about the obese ask yourself this: Would you feel comfortable making a similar statement about people of a certain race, religion, or country of origin?
Sincerely,