
Sometimes I wish I was in the Golden State; near the Pacific Ocean, where the cows are happier, and where people have year round access to fresh avocados! Today is National Guacamole Day, so I say we all celebrate by whipping up some fresh guacamole...
If you need any persuasion to indulge in some guacamole today (besides September 16th being dedicated to the delectable dip), avocados have been shown to have numerous health benefits. The monounsaturated fats in avocados have been associated with lowering cholesterol levels and may also decrease the risk of certain types of cancer. This versatile fruit is also rich in fiber, B vitamins, vitamin C, and contains more potassium than a banana! To read an in-depth nutritional profile for avocados, click HERE.
I LOVE making fresh guacamole at home, but I don't use a recipe per se. The way I prepare guacamole is quick, easy, and yummy. First mash the flesh of an avocado with a fork, then add fresh lemon juice until it is a good consistency, and finally add as dash of garlic salt and onion powder. I love it when things are not only simple to prepare, but are delicious and nutritious.
Go ahead and pick up some avocados on your way home from work and enjoy some guacamole this evening. Perhaps next year September 16th can be National Guacamole & Margarita Day!
Here are some links to additional recipes for guacamole courtesy of the Food Network:
Garlicky Holy Guacamole