Yes, you read that right. My freezer is a wormhole. I place things in my freezer for later use, and they disappear the evening I need them and reappear months later looking like this:
As icky as meat with freezer burn looks, that is not the problem. The real problem is that because my freezer is a wormhole I cannot be sure how long the meat has been in there. Even when I have written a date on a package, I am never sure of the refrigerator or freezer shelf life of food. How long is chicken safe to eat if it is frozen? How long does ground beef keep in the freezer? Or if I decide to eliminate the possibility of my food traveling through space and time and refrigerate it, how long can it be refrigerated?
Well, the answer to these and many other food safety and storage questions can be found at one convenient location on the web. The folks at the Food and Drug Administration have partnered with the National Science Teachers Association and created a Food Safety A to Z Reference Guide with a plethora of food safety information. The most helpful of which (in my humble opinion) is the Refrigeration and Freezer Storage Chart which can be accessed HERE.
Hopefully this information will be helpful to you the next time you pull out a package of chicken that you bought on sale in May, unless of course your freezer is also a wormhole.
