I know that Thanksgiving is all about the turkey, but personally I look forward to the stuffing! A good stuffing is crucial for the enjoyment of the meal, and today I will share with you my recipe for the best ever stuffing. But first I wanted to take a moment to honor my Grandfather. Today is Grandpa's birthday, and I owe a lot to this wonderful man. He helped to fund my college education, helped my husband and I purchase our first home, but most importantly he is the inventor of the best ever stuffing! Happy Birthday Grandpa, I hope you have a wonderful day.On to the stuffing...
You will need 1 box of cornbread stuffing mix and 1 box of herb seasoned stuffing mix (I use Mrs. Cubbison's). If you are feeding more people, have a stuffing loving family, or simply want guaranteed leftovers double up on the boxes. My Grandfather actually stuffs the turkey and uses the giblets to season the stuffing, I have issues with food near the turkey orifice and I have yet to make a whole turkey so this recipe is modified but tastes the same (based on family testing). I essentially follow the directions on the box with a few simple alterations. I use chicken broth (preferably low sodium) in place of water, and the margarine I replace with half butter and half olive oil.
But here is what makes the stuffing delicious... Everyone in my family except for me (and the husband thank goodness!) hates the consistency of onions, which is unfortunate because of the wonderful flavor they can bring to food. My Grandpa, the clever man that he is, found the perfect solution... Blend 1 onion (or more) with a small amount of water until it is a smoothie like consistency and add it to the stuffing. That is what makes the stuffing so incredible! There are not any chunks of crunchy veggies to interfere with the soft texture of the stuffing.
Once you have combined all of the ingredients (stuffing mix, broth, butter, olive oil, and onion smoothie), place the mixture into a casserole dish and bake covered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees and uncovered for 10 minutes more. Voila, the perfect stuffing...
I would love to hear some of your stuffing tips!
PS - I am guest blogging on Not Another Omnivore, if you have not checked out her blog yet I insist you go immediately!